Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy Father's Day!




How Buying Decisions Are REALLY Made

I wrote a few days ago that reaching the right people was far less important than saying the right thing. Decisions are rarely made in a vacuum. It is very hard to predict a consumers' moment of need. I had a great example of this with a real client and a real consumer. Me.

I have a golf shop client that is airing commercials for Father's Day. This customer, like most, was concerned with what audience he was speaking to. As always, I downplayed the need to worry. He thought that for Father's Day, it was important to target the female buying for the Dad. Nope. Decisions are not made in a vacuum.

The new ad has ULTRALIGHT GOLF BAGS, regularly $129, on sale for $79. It just so happens that my bag is falling apart. So, I take two of my girls with me to the grocery store after work and accidentally take a detour and stop at the golf shop to show the girls what Mom could get me for Father's Day. (in case she asks)

Now, when Mom goes in (hopefully) to buy the golf bag for me for Father's Day, it would appear that targetting the female was the right thing. Was it? No, because decisions are rarely made in a vacuum. In the end does it really matter? No. Because the client made the sale. And Dad got what he wanted for Father's Day.....if my daughter's do their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment