Friday, June 26, 2009

Beyond The Product


While I was researching a quote for yesterday's blog, I stumbled on another quote from Don Beveridge, International Business Consultant and author of the book "The Achievement Challenge. I was able to see Don speak several years ago and I think he is on of the best sales and management consultants I have ever had the pleasure to learn from. The book was published in 1988, and is well worth the search to get a copy.

On to the quote. "Only 40% of a buyer's decision relates to the product. 60% is relative to what you do for the cuastomer beyond the product." Don Beveridge

In most cases, multiple businesses offer virtually the same product or service. It is how you differentiate beyond the product that counts. This is all part of your overall strategy. What little extra thing can you offer your customer that no one else can or will? It doesn't have to be big.

For example, when was the last time that you got a hand written thank you note after a purchase? Were you surprised? What if every time you took your car in for service, the dealer washed and vacuumed it at no charge? Your gas station had someone that came out and cleaned your windows while you filled up. We have a local bank that offers fresh baked cookies any time you come in.

From a personal selling standpoint, what can you do beyond the product? Research your prospects business and ask questions that are important to your prospect. Dress more professionally. Hand write thank you notes. Do exactly what you say you will do. Become perceived as a part of the prospects staff. I worked with a car dealer that did a live nativity scene on their lot for 2 weeks before Christmas. I ran the spotlight for them every night. Outside. In the cold. They spent twice as much with me as with any other rep. Coincidence? You decide.

What will you do to differentiate beyond the product? Feel free to post any experiences that you have had or what you do to differentiate.

1 comment:

  1. I have two examples of the benefits of going above and beyond for your clients.

    Here in Lawrence we have a Habitat for Humanity and a Habitat ReStore. Both are small, shoe-string budget non-profits. I work closely with the GM of the ReStore. GPM gets almost all of their small marketing budget. I’ve worked H4H and ReStore booths at fairs, been a judge at their ‘re-purposed’ art contest & auction, attended the going away party for the outgoing Ex Dir (that I didn’t even know that well, but was invited), presented to their executive board in favor of moving the ReStore’s location, gone to the store through a raging snowstorm to take pictures for them, suggested PSAs for things they hadn’t even thought and couldn’t pay for. I was just in there the other day talking to the GM, and she introduces me like this “This is Renee, my ad rep. She always has great marketing strategies. Let’s ask her.” And I know she does ask me about most of her marketing decisions. As her business grows, so does mine!

    Example number two is an insurance broker. The owner always brings her German Shepard to work with her. Soon after she first signed with us, I brought her dog some ‘cookies.’ They still ask me about that! I’ve helped her ‘celebrate’ the closing on her rental property, I’ve gone to her daughter’s jewelry party (& bought too much – surprise!), she knows she is invited to my wedding (as soon as we set a date…). We’ve developed a strong relationship, so much so that she says stuff like “Well, Renee, you tell me what we should do, and that’s what we’ll do.” Due to some happy changes in her business, we have an appt in the next 2 weeks to plan out how she should spend the new influx of money the changes will afford her. As her business grows, so does mine!

    The first example will always be a smaller account, but solid. The second example, with time, patience, and great strategies, will grow into an even greater account.

    Now I need to go develop some NEW relationships!

    ReplyDelete