Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Speed Trap


Set A Realistic Time Horizon

Don't get caught trying to cut corners with your advertising and expect to get there faster than is possible. Advertisers make the mistake of thinking that advertising is like turning on a light switch. Advertising takes time to work. How long varies depending on the purchase cycle of your product. A restaurant can expect quicker results than a mattress store. People have the need to eat every day, yet need a new mattress every ten years or so.

Advertisers stumble when they try to decide when a customer is going to need their product instead of being consistent and committing to the message and let the advertising go to work and persuade the customer to shop you when they are ready.

This doesn't mean that advertising can't generate immediate results WITH THE RIGHT OFFER, it just isn't something that you can count on consistently.

Triggering events happen every day that bring people into need for your product or service. A few years ago, I had the entire family over for Thanksgiving dinner. In-Laws, Cousins, extended family, the whole deal. About 2pm, we realized that the hot water heater was out. Cold water for dishes, no showers. Not good. I had an immediate need for a plumber. Didn't have a need at 1:59. I called the plumber that had been advertising 24 hour emergency service. Didn't ask what it cost. They showed up, fixed it and charged me twice the normal rate.(It was a holiday) I thanked him. I was happy. Great strategy by the way.(That's a bonus lesson!) The point here is that no one could have predicted when I would need my water heater fixed, but this plumber was at the top of my mind when I needed them.

So, when you commit to a plan, give it time to work. Don't give up and try something else. It will cost you money and you end up starting from square one. Happy motoring.

1 comment:

  1. Great advice. For those of us who want it NOW!
    My grandfather always said what a lot of grandfathers said...
    "Measure twice, cut once."
    I am reassured by this topic. If it has value, it is worth a strategic plan and the time to make it work!

    ReplyDelete