Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Focus Your Message



I met with a client that I have worked with for several years. He has not been happy lately about his advertising return on investment. I spent a long time thinking through what is wrong. I realized that I had broken a couple of my primary rules of advertising. First, I allowed the customer to tell me what he wanted in the ads. Oh, I started out with the best intentions, but over time I got lazy and tired of fighting him every time we started a new commercial. I acquiesed and did it his way. I knew it was not the right thing to do. We crammed too many things into one commercial. We talked about three separate businesses in one commercial. In another we talked about one business and multiple products. Not good advertising. I didn't mean to, it just happened.

Each commercial needs to make one point and make it well. The campaign should build on itself like bricks in a wall with a common thread running throughout, but each commercial or ad is a brick all on it's own. If you own a coffee shop that sells cappucinos, smoothies, muffins, teas, espresso, etc., each item should have it's own commercial in the campaign. Don't laundry list them all together. A bank should have different commercials telling their story about checking accounts, cd's, home loans, auto loans etc. Use the time to explain why customers should choose you in each area. Remember, we need to create a preference. Differentiate what you do. One item at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment